River & Lakes
Looking for a sensor designed for river and lake level monitoring?
Look no further than the RadarIQ RIVER-1 sensor, made specifically for accurate distance measurement in outdoor environments such as around rivers and lakes.
Why monitoring is important
Actively monitoring river and lake levels is very important for regulatory compliance and managing water allocations. Being able to know the levels of rivers and lakes allows better decision-making.
Modeling floods & storms
Storms and floods are part of the phenomena in the natural environment. By studying the effects of water movement on the natural environment, better models of flood-prone areas can be developed.
Knowing the volume of water at present in lakes and rivers is important to be able to actively manage water. This could to to mitigate the effects of heavy rain events, or to ensure sufficient water is released from dams to ensure minimum river levels.
With the effects of global warming starting to make a measurable impact on water flows, it is more important than ever to be able to monitor the effects of river level so mitigation actions can be made before it is too late.
Understanding river levels is important for protecting the environment. River levels which get too low because of land-use changes pose a massive problem to the natural ecosystem.
Provide information about river levels to the public so they make safe choices around their recreation activities.
We know it is hard to monitor rivers and lakes
- Monitoring locations are often remote and accessing them is difficult which is why a set-and-forget solution is needed.
- Weather can play havoc with sensors. Extreme heat, cold, wind, or storms all pose challenges to accurate monitoring.
- Sufficient power is required to run the sensors and data acquiring platforms. Low-power sensors are ideally suited to remote installations, but not all sensors are created low-power.
- A remote monitoring sensor setup can be expensive by the time all the components from sensor, solar panel and mounting brackets are factored in.
- Data is not always clean. Environmental conditions can effect the quality of the data which can lead to false positive warnings being generated.
Radar technology from RadarIQ is uniquely suited to river level measurement. It has many benefits compared to other sensing technologies.
|Ultrasound||Bubbler level sensor||Pressure sensor||RadarIQ|
|Can be installed above the river without needing submersion|
|Highly robust to rough weather and flows|
|Can be completely sealed from the environment|
|Affordable enough to install everywhere|
|Focus on a specific patch of water|
RadarIQ has two options for lake and river level monitoring, a stand alone sensor and and all-in-one solution
The stand-alone sensor is designed to be incorporated into an existing monitoring solution or as part of a bespoke installation. This is the best option for situations where just the sensor is needed and all of the infrastructure around collecting and reporting readings is handled using other equipment.
(link to product)
The all-in-one solution is a full cloud-connected package which includes the sensor, solar panel, battery, modem, cloud server for receiving and processing data, and the user portal for accessing the data. This is the best option for new sites because it is an affordable turn-key solution saving all the hassles of building custom hardware and infrastructure
(link to product)